Using free services is something everybody wants, although when it comes to a website, hosting it for free is not the greatest idea. There are numerous disadvantages that come with using such hosting, which makes its free status an insufficient excuse. Paid web hosting services are much more preferable, especially if you want your brand to have a good reputation. If you want to know about web hosting, what is it, and how to buy one, you can find more of this information online and in the tips below.
Cons of Free Web Hostings
There are many tips and tricks online on how to choose a web host, but it is better to know how to avoid bad hosting. Here are the reasons not to use hostings that are free of charge:
- Low-quality service. It usually takes a long time for customer support to reach back to you when you have an issue or question. Keeping in mind that these servers often go down, you will have a lot of questions.
- Tons of ads. As an exchange for free services, you will most likely be obliged to display adverts on your site. This also means that you will not be able to choose the ads you can show to satisfy your visitors.
- Low speed. The loading speed is considerably lower on free websites, making such hostings a pain to navigate.
- Poor security. Having good security for your site is essential. With a free host, your chances of being hacked will grow by at least 30%.
- Lack of storage. These hosts often provide as little as 1 GB of storage space, which is not nearly enough for a normal website.
- Sites are often down. The risks of websites shutting down regularly are quite high, and maintenance will also not be swift.
- Not many features. Managing your site will not be easy as free hosts usually lack convenient features.
- Lack of automatic backups. There might be issues with any website, but without automatic backups, it is much more difficult to restore your data.
- Difficult host moving. Free hosts might deny you access to all files from your website if you suddenly decide to change a hosting service.
- No guarantees. Lastly, free hosts are highly unreliable, and there are literally no guarantees that the hosting will not shut down any second. This means you can simply lose your website at any moment without prior notice. And there is nothing you can do about it.
Now, having learned about all the drawbacks of free hostings, you know that paid web hosting packages will be much more effective. You can find the best packages here.